Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Heavy Heart....

It is with a heavy heart that I preface my post by saying a former class-mate of John's (little) passed away due to Cancer. It tears me up to thing such a young child could be taken from his parents way to soon. Though I never really knew him, I just feel so terribly for his family. He was in kindergarten with John, but left school last year when he became ill.

While I had heard this news after bringing John to school, he was still unaware. When he arrived home this afternoon, he stumbled in to tell me he had one of the worst days of his life. Of course, I asked him why. I was predicting he would tell me about the boy, as I was prepared to talk to him regarding this. He started out by telling me he got picked for kickball by "Kenny" at recess. He went on to say this wasn't good because Kenny's team didn't win. After that, told me how he lost his milk money and while looking for his milk money, he lost his gloves. Following this, he showed me how he cut his hand on the metal part of a tape dispenser. Finally he matter of factly told me the boy had died.

I was uncertain of how much her really understood with respect to dying, though we have talked about how everyone will die and go to heaven with Jesus someday. Fortunately for him, he has not experienced death closely. I told him this was very sad, but the boy is now in heaven and no longer sick. I said he was probably very happy and would be a guardian angel to his family.

Matt and Charlie were present when we were talking about this. Matt said he's in heaven with Babe Ruth (Matt's icon and for now that's the only one Matt talks about being in heaven, other than Jesus. For Matt everything is about baseball!) Charlie looked at John and asked, "when is he coming back?" John exclaimed, "He's not coming back. You don't come back when you die." While I had to keep from falling apart at this moment. John looked at the other two boys and said, "so are we going out to play now or what?"

Though I am happy that my boys in part know about death, I still have sense of peace knowing that youth protects them from hurt right now. Wouldn't you just like to say, "let's go out and play!" every time you felt the least bit sad?

11 comments:

girlymom said...

This is very sad. A little boy from Because I Said So just recently passed away too and even though I don't know either child or family, it still weighs heavily. I tend to hug my children a little tighter now. I wish life was all about going out to play.

My daughter asked me tonight if heaven was in outer space?! Thankfully I had just engourged my face with a huge bite of food and had a chance to think it over a bit- long enough for Hubby to take over the conversation and questions. This time anyways.

kim-d said...

I think it is wonderful that your boy could go out and play and put his bad day behind him. That is just exactly the way it should be. Any other way just is not right. Cancer and kid should not be allowed in the same sentence. EVER.

Mary said...

When I was putting Charlie and Thomas in the car John asked me if you had told me about Hau (I know this spelling is wrong.) He's definitely thinking about it to some degree.
If you're sad you might not consider saying "lets go out and play" but you can always say "lets go get some scratchies!" I'm not making light of this but I know what the thrill of scratch tickets does to you:)

OHmommy said...

Heavy heart, in deed. It is a very hard topic, especially with kids. I tell my kids, like you did, about the angels in heaven and that furthermore they will be able to swim in pools of M&Ms everyday without getting one belly ache. They laugh. We create stories. Stories heal the heavy heart.

Zoe said...

i worked at the childrens hospital for a long time and it just never gets easier. ever.

Misty said...

Oh. Gosh. I'm so sorry. What a tragic loss. And what terrific parents you are for handling this so beautifully.

Anonymous said...

Awful. I hate hearing about kids who are dying of cancer. It's becoming so much more heard of these days. I just read my Parents mag this month and a little boy (3) was being treated for some rare form of cancer. It's awful. I think that I think of it more now that I am a mom. You can't help but think, "what if that were my child?" My prayers and thoughts go out to that family who just lost their little boy.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Cam over to leave you a "hey, how did you know about the Energizer bunny in my drawer" comment but then saw your entry.. :-(

How awful. Losing a child has to be devestating. I'm so sorry for this family and will keep them in my thoughts and prayers...

Hallie

Anonymous said...

My single greatest fear in life is something happening to my kid. No parent should have to bury a child. Ever. My thoughts go out to the family and to John.

kimmy said...

That is so sad. Sometimes the innocence of youth can be such a good thing.

Kimmy

Maria said...

That is so sad. When my daughter was in 2nd grade, a girl in her grade suddenly passed away. She had the flu, then went back to school. A couple of days later she got worse. Her mom rushed her to the hospital and she died on the way. Apparently she had a heart condition. The parents had no warning. It was such a tough ride for especially the mom. My daughter was like John. She was too young to really understand. Thankfully it's a defense mechanism that God gives kids. They shouldn't have to bear the burden of all the problems in the world. I will pray for them.