Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Trash!!!

As I strive to be organized, I have been throwing things away every day. It has been quite therapeutic for me. I literally look for things in my house to get rid of. Of course, if there are things that can be recycled, I'll recycle them. If there are things that can be given away, I'll do that too. However, if its broken, pieces are lost, or I just don't want it (and don't think anyone else would either) I just pitch it.

I have always tended to hold on to some stuff but for the last couple of months, I have really made an effort to get rid of things. My hate for clutter was exacerbated when my elderly neighbors house was condemned by the Board of Health. She was an extreme hoarder. In fact, she didn't throw anything out. We never knew how she was living until she went into the hospital. She had stacks and stacks of stuff, newspapers, junk mail etc. I had never seen anything like it. It made me very sad to think that some people really have this problem. I feel very badly for her. As I continue to help her through this time, I am realizing that hoarding is definitely a disease. The need to hold on to things is something they can't help. It starts with just little piles until there are only little pathways.

Having said all this. I will continue to throw something out every day.

3 comments:

Zoe said...

Ugg. My grandmother is a hoarder it is horrible. Try freecyle on yahoo groups...people will take anything.

Mary said...

I totally have the craving to purge cabinets, closets, etc. etc. Maybe it's cause I witnessed your neighbor.......or maybe it's because I live in a shoe box and have no space!?!

Beth said...

i think this goes right along with my whole organizing thing! write something down, throw something away.......i think i'm getting it!