Thursday, October 18, 2007

Thoughts for Thursdays

Shooting Up.......

This happened last year, but I thought it was worth sharing. My kids LOVE to play outside. They love to ride their bikes, scooters, play ball, tag, etc. etc. One of their favorite things, however, is to play army, marines, cops, robbers etc. Now they are not violent at all, but they are often packing something such as squirt guns, cap guns, modified "stick guns", or anythying that can look like a gun or sound like a gun! I swear it is genetic and innate in them. Perhaps it has something to do with their dad being police officer and marine? I don't know. It's just them.

Even if I rid them of any play guns, they would be making them out of Legos, sticks, paper towel rolls or ANYTHING because they already do that. Some people might disagree, but I really don't have a problem with it. I chalk it up as being boys (though my niece Abby has been spotted "packing" on a occasion, as well) For decades boys have played with those green, plastic army guys, some might say that it's politcally incorrect. (and by no coincidence, these are some of their favorite toys!) Who cares? These guys love to play and they do it so innocently. I love it. They are happy and that's the way it should be.

Last Christmas, my elderly neigbor sent us a Christmas card. In the card, she jotted a little message. It read: Hope you have a very Merry Christmas. Love to watch your boys "shooting up" in your front yard! I didn't know quite what to make of it. I started cracking up. Perhaps I have been jaded by my husband's profession but when I hear "shooting up", I think of drugs. Well she is from England, and I was told that's just an expression for playing merrily and having fun. Wouldn't this be great if that was the only meaning for this expression?!?!?!

6 comments:

jenny said...

oh that's funny! i don't think there is anything wrong with kids playing cops/robbers, army, etc. and having 'play' guns. i mean, my family hunts, i worked for the sheriff's office - i don't want to teach my kids they are off limits. gun safety is the key. we just make sure all of our guns are locked and put away somewhere out of tucker's reach/sight. not sure if this made sense, but it's what i thought about after reading your post!

Amy said...

i am right with you with respect to gun safety.

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

Toy guns of any kind were never allowed in my house growing up 9but Barbie dolls weren;t either). In Minneapolis they have recently banned all toy guns or gun replicas because they have caused too many problems.

Happy Days said...

I am not being fresh, but what is wrong with Barbie Dolls?

Zoe said...

we never had barbies or guns...commune and all. anyway. i don't buy the boys guns...except maybe squirt guns...so they make their own. i'm on the fence about barbies for ava. i know there will be NO brats dolls.

Amy said...

zoe, i hear you on the BRATS. i don't have girls, but that could be a whole post. they are horrible!!!