Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Her's is all set.....

It was one of those days. It was a Monday, of course. It was cold and rainy. I was heading to my sister Lisa's to pick up Matt. She asked me to stop at Dunkin Donuts to get her a coffee. Sure no problem I thought to myself. That's easy. So I thought, that is. I ordered the coffee and as I approached the counter, I had a revelation or should I say realization. I didn't have any money on me. Darn!

While waiting for my order, I rifled through the change holder in my truck. Figures no change in there. Then I quickly shuffled through my neatly organized purse (do you hear my sarcasm?). I was making progress as I was up to about 75 cents. Hey when did the price of a medium coffee sail above two dollars anyway? Then to my surprise, one of the girls at the window said to the other girl, "her order is all set. The car behind her is paying!" Wow! I guess it was my lucky day. Who was behind me in line? Someone that knows me, of course. Then I said to the woman thanks and proceeded to give her my 75 cents as a tip. She replied, "oh sorry we were talking about the next order! "

Thankfully, at that time Matt saw a dollar under the seat. Well I guess it really is my lucky day now! I thought. However, I was already sweating with embarrassment by the thought of having no money to pay for my sister's coffee! Thanks for small miracles, though.

Note to myself...... reload my truck's spare change container. You never know when you'll need it. Additional note to myself..... I don't have a sugar daddy so why on earth would someone be paying for my coffee????

20 comments:

kimmy said...

I usually buy one of those Dunkin Donuts cards so that I always have some way to pay for my coffee. And, if it runs out, I can just put more money on it with my credit card. Of course, this horrifies my husband!!!!

Kimmy

Mary said...

I heard a story recently (someone told me it was on the news) about how at a starbucks someone paid for the next person's coffee and it snowballed through the line for about an hour or so! Each person kept treating the person behind thme. Kind of cool, huh? (at least I think that's how the story went.)

Anonymous said...

This happens to me all of the time. I never have any cash. I've been known on numerous occassions to beg parking attendants to let me out of ramps with the promise that I will come back later to pay. I always go back but I feel like such a loser begging.

I've been a bad commenter lately but I love all of the new pictures and stories...I'm reading...work has just been busy and I haven't done much commenting! One of the problems with google reader...it's easy to read and think "I'll comment later" and then forget!

Maria said...

I wish I was that lucky! BTW, how is the coffee at DD? I heard it's one of the best.

Kellan said...

What a cute story! I never have enough money for anything, so I can relate to this story. Have a great day Amy - see you later. Kellan

shay said...

I am totally laughing...I'm so glad I'm not alone. What a nice thing to pay for someone's coffee! I'll have to try to remember to do that...

Thanks for the birthday wishes for my tiny girl! I'd lost you cuz I forgot to add you to my blog roll. I'm going to do that now!

just jamie said...

So funny. I, too, often am cashless. At least you didn't have a cart full of groceries that have been scanned, only to realize your wallet is in your other purse.

Love your blog. Look forward to more.

kim-d said...

I think treating the stranger behind you in line is a really neat thing to do, and I wish it would have been you. I have a friend with a 12/24 birthday; I don't get her a Christmas gift, but I try to find a meaningful birthday gift for her. She is a very busy Mom of three who is always on the run. I bought a cute credit card holder and filled it with gift cards to the places she stops for coffee, a scone, a burger, a taco, etc. She loved it, and I was pretty darn proud of myself. It's just fun to "buy" something and not have to pay!

Misty said...

I have a Sugar Daddy... he pays for my groceries every other week.... oh... wait.... that's my husband!!

**giggle**

Misty said...

PS: And, if it makes you feel better, my debit card was denied today..... and it had hundreds of dollars on it..... BUM banking, or at least one TOO many glitches in the system!

Robyn said...

I no longer wonder why my husband has a boatload of change in his car.

K.M.L said...

I hate when that happens! I am often looking for change to pay for things, so I'm glad that I'm not the only one! Have a great week.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Thanks for the comment. I feel ready to explode at any minute - like my skin is going to crawl off my body. I hate waiting for anything and this is the worst kind of waiting!!

Friday is not that far away, right? :-)

Hallie

lilnurse1126 said...

oh man that has happened to me SO many times. I have actually gone out of the house with my wallet thinking I had it to get gas even...then running out...in front of a gas station was the worst I believe! lol. now I have "Emergency Snack/Gas Money!" hehe.

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

I have done this before.....now I have change all over the place...LOL

Family Adventure said...

Ack! I've totally been there. But I always blame my husband, who seems to steal my change every time he uses my car. Drives.Me.Crazy.

Heidi :)

Kellan said...

Hi Amy - thanks for stopping by. Hope you are having a good day. See you soon. Kellan

kim-d said...

Where are you, Amy? Wherever you are, hopefully it's with a full spare change container :)!

Michelle Leigh said...

Oh no, not good! Glad it worked out.

Zoe said...

LMAO! Today on the way home from surgery I stopped to get Monte McDonalds. I get to the window and I have no $$ and no credit card. I was so ashamed I wanted to cry. The manager was right there and must have felt bad for me cause she gave us our meal free! YAHHHHOOOO!