Monday, November 19, 2007

Okay maybe I shouldn't look?!?!?!

Last night, like whenever my children get sick, I had flashbacks of all nighters with newborns. It's amazing how you can in part get used to no sleep when you have infants (in my experience with Matt this lasted for almost three years!) Then when they're older one or a few bad nights sleep seem like eternity. In any event, John's persistent cough had him and me up most of the night. I kept him home from school and took him to the doctors. Thankfully he doesn't have pneumonia, but she is treating him for an upper respiratory infection. I must say, it's kind of nice having him home. I sometimes have to remind myself that he's seven, because hanging out with him is like hanging out with an old friend. As much as he may seem like an old soul, today's experience brought out my motherly instinct and protective nature.

After the doctors John, Thomas, and I went to pick up John's prescription and some groceries. While in line at the pharmacy, I looked to my side to check on John and Thomas when a middle-aged woman with her son yelled, "Don't look at me, I don't even know you. What are you looking at?" Though she was very hostile in nature, thankfully she kept going. My initial reaction was to say something back. However, I didn't because I had two children with me. I was happy I let it go, though I almost didn't. Perhaps she thought I was looking strangely at her, because I glanced over at the boys, at the same time she was going by them. I don't know. She did act strangely and inappropriate, but maybe she was mentally ill or something.

So often I am tempted to blurt things out when people act out in public, or when I think they are just way out of line. I then try to step back a bit and think before I respond. What happens if they get confrontational? Do I want my children to see this? These are all things I think of before I react. In no way, do I condone peoples' inappropriate actions, I just would not want to provoke further inaptness. In this case, maybe I just should not have
looked!!! lol

5 comments:

Zoe said...

my vote is she was nuts. nuts. plain and simple nuts.

AliBlahBlah said...

I agree, stark raving bonkers.

..and the newborn thing, yes, maybe I should scratch that earlier comment about Anna getting a sibling. I like my sleep too much!

Patois42 said...

Always a tough call with kids in tow.

Kellan said...

That was wierd, right? I would have been tempted to say something too, but you were so right not too. If she was that hostile and you hadn't even said anything to her, imagine what she might do if you did?? What an odd thing. Hope your son is better soon. Take care. Kellan

jenny said...

i would have gave that woman the 'look' - you know, the 'look' that tells her how flippin' nuts she is.

by the way, i tagged you for a meme on my blog. sorry.