Sunday, August 10, 2008

Party of Five....






Today we went for a hike.
There is a forest only about 5 miles from my house
(yet it seems a world away).
Until last February, I had never hiked there.
(John opens my eyes to new things everyday!)
While I didn't feel like doing much of anything today,
John persuaded me to go.
I am so happy I did.
We had a lot of fun.
We hiked about a little over a mile up
a wooded hill to an observation tour.
When we reached the top, the boys played for a bit.
They had a blast hiding behind walls and
"shooting" with their walking sticks.
They were hilarious.
Moments like this make everything seem great for me.
The hike down was a bit challenging
or so little John told me.
It was starting to rain and the rocks were slick.
What I encountered on the way down was
nothing short of exhilarating.
I heard a little noise to my left -
there were five deer walking in the woods parallel to us!
They were so close.
It was awesome to see them.

11 comments:

jenny said...

great pictures - love that one of you! :)

glad you had a good hike. the deer - i should send you video of the ones that are in our yard every night - they are like dogs here!

kimmy said...

Great pictures!

We love to hike too. One of our favorite places to go in the fall is Bradbury Mountain. My son loves it. My daughter, well, she's a different story! We bribe her with an ice cream in the end!

Kimmy

Mari said...

Sounds like a fun hike. I saw a Mom and baby deer last week.
I really like that picture of you!

Kim Airhart said...

Sounds like a very nice family day.

Lisa said...

How neat. Your family time topped off with one of God's gentle creatures....well more than one! Rather some! What a great day and wonderful pictures to boot.

KG said...

Aww ... I love a good hike. I can't wait until my kid is old enough to partake in hiking! Right now it's more of me walking and then either schlepping him or walking REALLY REALLY SLOWLY while he clings to my hands and staggers forward!

Happy Days said...

That sounds like an awsome sight! I love the pictures.

Don Mills Diva said...

That's amazing - the boys must have been thrilled.

I love that picture of you - you look gor-jesus!

Angela said...

Nature is sure something.
It is amazing what is so close that we may miss.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

cool! love the pics! love the stands alone flower too!~
Looks as though I am way behind and trying to catch up!
HUGS laura

Robyn said...

Fun. I'm glad your hubby talked you into it.