Tuesday, April 22, 2008

She must have known...

I love my Tuesday and Thursday night exercise class. Its a sort of boot camp - a combination of strength training and cardio. I always feel good after every class. I always look forward to going and tonight was no exception. I was preparing dinner when the phone rang - it was a call to tell me tonight's class was canceled. It may sound weird to some, but I was really disappointed. I have been going to this class for about 8 0r 9 months, and I just love it. As tired as I may be when I get there, afterwards I am invigorated. Needless to say I went for a run to get my exercise in for the night. I did NOT want to run. I looked forward to the motivation of the other woman in the class and running alone just wasn't going to cut it. I did it anyway.

I was running along the beach's walkway across from my house. Though it was a beautiful night, I just didn't want to run. My legs ached and my heart felt like it was beating out of my chest. When I reached my half-way point I felt like stopping. Maybe I would just walk. Then behind me I could hear a sweeping sound. Someone was catching up to me. She was going fast. She was then beside me. "You can do it. Keep going," she said. I did not know this girl. She was definitely younger than me. She was lean and visibly a runner. While I am sure she could have blown by me, she didn't. Rather she ran with me the whole way home. I did not walk. We ran. When I got to my starting point, she continued running. She must have known I needed a push. She was the inspiration which I needed. She must have known!

30 comments:

Misty said...

Sounds like an angel in disguise. I've had many in my life, and love each and every one of them for it... even if they have no clue.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! It's refreshing to know there are still people like that in this generation. Great job on the run :)

Happy Days said...

Amy,
Who was it? Glad you did it. I am sure you are glad too! Other people's push helps me! Does that make any sense at all?

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

What Misty said. That was totally an angel in disguise. Sometimes that's all it takes...is a little push.

Mary said...

If I lived in Q-town, I'd kick yo ass every night on that beach!
Seriously, that's one thing I miss about Q-town........running or walking the beach. It's very sad to move away from home......because you never quite feel like you are home.
I'm glad you found your motivation tonight! I certainly haven't found mine.

Kellan said...

I loved this Amy - how inspirational!! I'm glad you had a good run! Have a good evening - Kellan

Jaime Cox said...

The Marathon Angel. Sweet!

Robyn said...

That is so neat. It must have been so nice to have someone encourage you! I try to do it to myself but it doesn't always work. Yay to you for going even thought you didn't want to.

dianna said...

I just love a great story like that...an inspirational breath of fresh air*!*

Family Adventure said...

It's gestures like that that makes life beautiful, don't you think?

Heidi

Are You Serious! said...

♥ That's awesome that she did that! Sometimes that extra little push helps so much!

tricki_nicki said...

What a cool girl. Maybe you can pay it forward someday...

Michelle Leigh said...

Wow, what an awesome experience. Was she real is the real question. I wish someone did that for me! I haven't worked out in 5 days. So easy to get in a rut! Good job going though!

beanski said...

I need one of those...a little angel to push me. Because I'm incapable of doing it myself.

Bogart said...

I love when stuff like that happens. Very cool!

Laski said...

Oh, wow! I would love to have someone run with me . . . push me. Encourage me. I often run on my own. Maybe I should look for someone to push . . .

Debbie said...

That's awesome. Good for you and good for her. There's something about strangers cheering us on that is so uplifting.

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Oh Amy, I just love that!

You had a running angel amongst you!!!

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

Wow! What an awesome, wonderful thing for someone to do.

Yesterday, I told my son's 8th grade English teacher that she was awesome and that I hoped all of my children would have her as an English teacher. She looked happy/surprised/shocked and said "Why, thank you. That means so much to me." I looked at her and I said "I REALLY mean it. You are a wonderful teacher."

She paused, and then said. "I know you mean it."

I made her day. I meant every word too.

GREAT JOB ON GETTING THE RUN DONE! Seriously, exercise stinks.. but we MUST do it or we will fall apart! lol

Kendra said...

WOW That is a great story.

jessica said...

yay for inspiration! awesome.

Corey~living and loving said...

WOW! what a great thing. and an even better post. :)

Mom said...

What a great story! I wish others would do that when I am running! WTG for getting out even though class was canceled.

Abbie said...

That is so so awesome!!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I love Cheri's comment - The angel named Nike. Awesome. I needed the angel named asic with me today as I STUNK at my run. Running outside is SO different than running on the treadmill, but so much more fun.

KEEP BELIEVING

just jamie said...

That is SO stinkin' cool.

Amy said...

Next time you see her..could you send her over here...I could really use some of that motivation...:-)

Ice Cream said...

Wow. How often is it that a stranger is willing to inspire and help another stranger like that? Did she have wings and a halo?

jenny said...

that is awesome. um, next time can you give her my address? :)

girlymom said...

I need that kick in the pants. Well, not today because my head is splitting, but another day. Congrats to you on doing the run. I can't stand running. I used to, but it was mostly to get on the soccer team, after those days were over I slowly gave it up. Actually the foot surgery was the deciding point. Ouch.