Saturday, April 19, 2008

21st Century?

Are you ever like me and take for granted that your children will understand what you are saying? So often I tend to use metaphors and similes and just assume they comprehend me. For instance today Matt was pleading with me to take him for a bike ride. We were in the car after Karate lessons, and we were on the way to get my oil changed in the truck. Finally after he kept asking and asking, I replied, "Matt stop asking me - you sound like a broken record." Matt's response was, "what's a record?" Then I thought for a quick second - of course he doesn't know what a record is! Afterwards, John suggested "why don't you tell him he sounds like a broken eight-track!" (can you hear the sarcasm?)
I guess I'll have to update my common sayings to be more contemporary. Perhaps I should just bring them into the 21st. century!
I will leave you with one picture from yesterday, Matt was playing basketball and got a bug on him!

10 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Just the other day one of my blog friends laughed at me for using the phrase "as the crow flies." Apparently it's only for grandpas.

My daughter and I had a long and interesting conversation about how "a door never closes that a window doesn't open" yesterday.

Bogart said...

I call Claire my "lady friend" and am told that I am like an 80-year old...might have something to do with the fact that I like to smoke a pipe and read the paper in my barcalounger, but I am sticking by my "lady friend" comment.

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

Imagine trying to explain an idiom to a bunch of kids who are just learning to speak English! Many kids do not understand idioms and such these days.....

jenny said...

hahaha - that is insane! i would have never thought that kids wouldn't know what that stuff is - but how would they? wow.

cute picture! hope you are having a great weekend!

Mari said...

Those are the kind of things that make you feel old. When my son was young, he asked me if I was alive when their were dinasaurs!

Maria said...

I love the broken record thing. It's amazing how much technology has changed. The kids haven't a clue!

Thanks for checking in on me. I've been busy trying to get my spring cleaning done before our Easter next week, and actually have been feeling guilty about all the time I spend on blogging. My time to blog is usually in the morning and my 4-year old keeps asking me to play store or Candyland or do a puzzle with her. I'm trying to figure out how to balance it all so I can spend more time with her.

Are You Serious! said...

♥ I have to explain stuff like that all the time! TOo funny! Great picture!

Zoe said...

my kids have no clue what records are. for xmas my sil bought my brother a record player and some records and my kids were like wtf?

Angela said...

Hum wow you are quite right.
They will also never know a world without computers.

Mary said...

Cute picture :)