Saturday, March 8, 2008

Pinewood Derby, Lent and Ice Cream



The Johns were a bit busy this past week preparing for the Pinewood Derby, a yearly Cub Scouts tradition. They worked all week on this project, and the race was last night. Though we did not have a winner, John did make one fine car. He designed it on paper beforehand then milled it, painted it, added the weight and the wheels. It had a Marine Corp theme. Though, it is fun to win, the experience was paramount. John already has ideas for next year!

Following the race we went to Friendly's for ice cream. I had to twist John's arm to order an ice cream as he has given up dessert for Lent. He did this all on his own, and has stuck by it for the last month. I convinced him it was okay, as it wasn't dessert it was to celebrate the race. It's pretty ironic that I had to convince a 7 year old to eat ice cream!

5 comments:

Burgh Baby said...

We don't have Friendly's in Pittsburgh. Oh, how I miss it.

The car is pretty cool looking! I think I might be jealous. ;-)

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

AAhhhh! They both look like they had fun.

I have a son that will only eat certain ice cream.

Happy Days said...

Amy,
John is so special. He was telling me about how happy he was for his friend that won. We are truly lucky to have him in our family! He makes me so proud!!

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed by John's dedication, but am so glad that he decided to relent . . . passing on Friendly's ice cream is darn-near a crime (or it should be!) Wish we had Friendly's out here!

And what a great car! I agree with Lisa - John is such an amazingly special boy . . . your words reflect your pride in him very well!

Zoe said...

man i could use some of his determination!