Monday, March 3, 2008

and it started like this....

The hysteria, that is! It was Thanksgiving night in 2003. We had returned home from the festivities of the day. While I was feeding Matthew, John was helping John (little) to brush his teeth. scratch... itch... more scratching.. more itching... Yes. That is what John (little) was doing while trying to brush his teeth. While I could see all of this from the family room, I was oblivious to the situation that was unfolding. In a calm voice, John called for me to come in the bathroom. "Look at his head," he said. (note: anyone who has seen pictures of John (little) on my blog should know that his hair has been this short since he was 2 1/2!) Having said this, I viewed John's scalp, which was easily viewable considering his little high and tight. There plain as day I could see little dark specs, moving along. I could not believe what I was seeing. Yes. They were bugs!

I started to cry. I was panicked. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. These little critters had made their home in my boy's head! Well in the hours that followed, we washed his head and combed out the little eggs. This was of course, nothing I would have expected, when I took my current job as a mother. After we annihilated the little buggers in the field of John's hair. We took precautions and washed our heads too. Thankfully we were not victims and Matt was unscathed, as well.

In the aftermath of this event, I washed more items than I have ever washed in a day. Every stitch of bedding, clothes, stuffed animals, etc. were washed. The wash seemed never ending. The psychological impact lingered, of course. I felt those buggers for days. Yes I could feel them moving on my head. Though I "felt" them, they were really not there. In time, I knew they were really gone and stopped "feeling" them. There are still days, when I feel that itch and start to panic. A day never passes when I don't check the boys' heads.

I laugh now at this event. While it was certainly not funny then, it really is now. Just telling this story reminds me of how silly I was. It was really no big deal and very minor in the big picture. While I feel very lucky the bugs have not taken up residence here again, I am more grateful for that being one of the only events that made me panic since being a mom. Just thinking of this story reminds me just how lucky I am. Though I don't want those little critters to come back, if they do, we can get rid of them and they'll be gone. Really, they're just minor!

22 comments:

Are You Serious! said...

♥ Knock on wood we haven't had to deal with this! So much work involved! You're right about it being minor but I still woulnd't want to deal with it! :)

Mary said...

You forget to mention where you think he got the "hair bugs" from............the movie theater! Remember, I went with you Little John and Matt? Remember Matt was in the stroller?

Amy said...

I did have them when I was a little girl, but since then have been lucky...but I have to admit, you've got me scratching!

beanski said...

I had a roommate in college that worked in an old folk's home and brought the little buggers home. I never got them but I cleaned for two weeks straight. I think it made her mad! It seemed like such a big deal at the time!

Anonymous said...

You've got me scratching now. I was lucky as a kid and never got them, but my little niece has had them twice.

Leslie Collins said...

Oh my. I hope we never have to deal with this. It happens though.

kim-d said...

Wow. First we have Mary murdering the baby chicks, and now we've got you annihilating creepy crawlies in John's hair. Not good, Amy Jean Kelly, not good at all! HAHAHA! Joking! You know what I find really interesting? It seems that there is a note being sent home with at least one of my grandkids about every other day, warning of yet another lice takeover. When I was a kid, that NEVER happened...never once. I wonder why this is...they, the lice, HAD to have been around when I was a kid, but nobody that I know of had them. Hmmmmmm! I hope they stay away from John's and Matt's heads forever. Now excuse me while I go scratch...

Michelle Leigh said...

Oh my god, I would have flipped. That is the one thing, next to ticks, that terrify me! I am itching just reading this!

Kellan said...

We (all 4 kids) went through an episode of lice a few years back - brought home from school - it was awful! My husband and I managed to avoid getting them, but it took weeks to rid our kids and house of the pests - it is just awful!!! Take care and I'll see you soon. Kellan

Robyn said...

Knock on wood haven't had to deal with it. But from I used to work where we debugged everyone, it was yucky I always had moments where I could feel crawling.

just jamie said...

Oh Man Amy. Dang-it. I'm all itchy now.

:)

Misty said...

My skin is crawling......

And I agree. What a pain in the butt.
Pain in the head, rather.

Unknown said...

I would have the same (or worse) reaction as you did. Bugs just do not belong on a head..nuff said :)

tricki_nicki said...

Ohhh, itch itch, scratch scratch! We haven't had them yet - so thanks for reminding me that they're not a big deal...I'm sure our turn is coming!

Jaime Cox said...

After scrolling through your mega comments... who is you sister? haha
Is it Mary? NO... crap. Nice to meet you!

Maria said...

When we lived in our old house, about 10 years ago, my next door neighbor started talking about lice in general. About 1 week later I noticed my kids had them! I think my neighbor's kids had them, and just didn't want to tell me!

KG said...

Ugh! My dad got RINGWORM once at a BARBER SHOP! Isn't that the grossest thing ever?

Eww. Bugs.

Lizzy in the Burbs said...

Hi, Amy!

My SIL went through this with her four girls, all with long hair, what a fiasco! Her youngest, they assume, got it from pre-school, although they're still not really sure. They were all so upset, so I can imagine how you felt as well!

Lizzy

Amy said...

I'm scared to death! Four girls with long hair! I don't know how we have avoided it so far, I just pray we continue to do so!

Zoe said...

just the mention of "bugs" makes me itch. when i did public health my entire office-me included got lice. soooooo much fun.

Corey~living and loving said...

LIke many....just reading this got my head itching. LOL

Anonymous said...

We had lice once when I was in 1st grade. After that, whenever there was a report of a lice case at school, my mom would check our heads religiously several times a day for WEEKS. It drove me nuts. To this day I can hear her nagging voice, "Don't lean back on the bus seats or at the movie theater. Don't use other people's combs. Don't borrow your friends' hats."

It has me in complete paranoia.