Monday, February 25, 2008

A not so cool shirt and toothpaste....

Today I woke up and picked out clothes for the boys to wear to school. They were already up and downstairs. Generally they pick out their own clothes but sometimes, like today, I like to pick them out. After breakfast, I sent them upstairs to get dressed. Immediately Matthew came back downstairs. He didn't want to wear what I had picked out. He told me the shirt was not cool and that he WASN'T wearing it! Well first of all, he DOESN'T tell me what he's doing. While there was really so significance to what I picked out. It was now more the point that I was not going to take orders from a soon to be five year-old. Therefore, I marched him right back upstairs and he got dressed. He was wearing what he referred to as fancy "Church" clothes. Though they weren't fancy nor his "Church" clothes, he was wearing them, because I said so. I won this battle.

Well so I thought! About a half hour later, I instructed him to go brush his teeth. Two minutes later he came came out of the bathroom with his teeth brushed. However, his shirt was all wet with toothpaste spots. "Mom look what happened to my shirt!" Some how I knew this was no act of God. I proceeded to tell him that he better not have done this on purpose. He said no. Of course I suspected differenly. While I contemplated having him wear it anyway, I had a better idea. Well thanks to my sometimes compulsive shopping habbits, I had another shirt just like that one only in a slightly different color. I pulled it out of the closet and on him, it went. He was astonished. This was not in his plans.

Well I was successful. The battle was won. Cool shirt or not, he wore it and that was the end of the story!

Now does he look like the type of kid that would sabotage his school clothes?

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not with that angelic face.

Robyn said...

LOL, I do the same thing, buying similar if not the same thing in different colors.

kim-d said...

Ummm, yeah...he looks precisely like the kid who is gonna keep you hoppin' from here on in...and directly on that kid's left would be the one he gets it from...HAHA! What a great picture! And there is something good about buying in twos; I've always known it. More HA's! Good for you, Amy--it's all about the Mommy Powers :). And, hey, I missed you over the weekend. Slowly but surely getting caught up, so I'll talk to ya tomorrow!

Amy said...

Those innocent looking ones, those sweet baby angel faces, gotta watch them!!

Family Adventure said...

I'd say you're in for a ride, my friend! And he's not even five yet??

Heidi :)

girlymom said...

Ha ha ha!!! He is ssoooo guilty!
I give you credit for being so clever!

My daughter and I battle over the hairdo's...she really wants her hair down all day everyday, I get sick of it in her face...we battle. We have a deal now, she gets her hair down on certain days, but on dance day, gym class day, playing outside days, it's up. Seems to work well.

Life As I Know It said...

Oh, that is too funny. Smart boy!

I've slowly learned not to battle over certain things...clothes are one of them!
Fruits and vegies I am still trying to figure out though ;)

Don Mills Diva said...

What an angel! Methinks you're in for a few similar battles as he grows...

Maria said...

He is so cute. I agree with what you did. Unless there was a problem with the shirt, like it was scratchy or had Big Bird on the front of it, he's too little to care about clothes yet. Good for you.

Abbie said...

HAHHAHA ohh you've got a smart one on your hands! :)

Amber said...

I'm suspicious of all children...especially the cute ones.

Misty said...

I just asked myself that question about Hannah this morning.......

Lizzy in the Burbs said...

Hi, Amy!

I love that photo! (THAT sweet innocent boy purposely spill toothpaste on his shirt? No way!) :-)

It's hard some days to pick our battles, isn't it? The older they get, the bigger the battles become! He's a cutie-pie!

Lizzy

KG said...

You may have won the battle, but good luck winning the war!!! At least he's a boy . . . . I remember as a teenager smuggling clothes out that my mom deemed "too immodest" and changing clothes in the car. Boy clothing is a lot less naked.

Janice {Run Far} said...

Oh no he doesn't.

My Taylor is always so picky about what she wears. Errrrr

Zoe said...

maybe a little. i let the boys get their own clothes...sometimes it's not pretty. like today when cade wore 2 shirts that didn't remotely match.

OHmommy said...

So cute!

Mom said...

Well I have a 5 year old girl that does the same thing but here is the kicker so does the 3 year old. Way to out smart him!

Check out my blog I tagged you!

PS love the moldy peaches!

Are You Serious! said...

He's so cute though!

My daughter is 7 and she knows I won't let her wear skirts to school in the winter but she decided to sneak one instead and then came clean after school. I was glad that she choose to tell me but oh it's drives me crazy the whole sneaky thing! I'm glad that you had an extra one!!! :)

just jamie said...

Oh My Gosh. That's pretty funny. What a clever kiddo (and Mommy).

Corey~living and loving said...

oooo kids are so darn smart. I mean really....that was a good try, wasn't it.

Michelle Leigh said...

That's awesome! Too smart I tell ya. I'm the same way though, if I've already set a guideline, or said no, I won't back in. It's a matter of principal!