Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Itchy, itchy, itchy...

Wow today knocked me through a loop, figuratively of course. I headed out this morning with my list of tasks. I am so not a list person so the fact that I had one was nothing short of a miracle. In fact my "normal" way of grocery shopping consists of me walking up and down the isles waiting for visual clues in order to create my mental list. Mental... that's right!!!
In any event, my plan of attack was foiled when my hairdresser and friend called me on my cell phone to confirm my 10:00 am cut and foil appointment. This morning, I exclaimed???? She replied "Yes!!!" Fortunately my mom was available to watch Thomas so I left the dollar store and bee-lined it to her house. Though having my hair down through a huge wrench in my plans, the thought of not having it done by Christmas frightened me!!! Please don't think I am vain!!!

Additionally, John was going to take the boys to the barber shop after school as they were in desperate need of cuts too. Little John's Christmas concert is tomorrow so I really wanted him to get it all cleaned up. Unfortunately John had to work really late so I took them after my sister came for Thomas. We made it to the barber shop before closing much to their dismay. For some unknown reason, my guys think of going to the barber shop as "men time". Adding me to the equation seems to spoil it for them. Do they actually think I enjoy it??? In any event, they got their nice clean cuts, and the mission was a success (at least in my book!!!).

On to the next task, which was shopping for my elderly friend. This venture was really not in the boys' plans. Once again, do they think I wanted to do it??? Some times you just have to suck it up, right? Well as we were shopping, Matthew starts whining, "mom will you pleeeeeeze give us baths tonight, I am sooooo sticky!!! (probably from the two lollipops he got at the b.s.) Halfway down the isle John chimes, "mom I am sooooo itchy." Then in unison they both start again, "can we pleeeeeze have baths tonight. Mom we are so itchy." I must have heard this a hundred times!!! Goodness gracious, you would seriously think I never gave them baths, yet they have one nightly (or almost!) Despite my reassurance that yes, they would have baths, they kept it up.... and up!!! One lady who had heard the whole exchange looked a little puzzled. I smiled and said they just had their hair cut! Well like my fellow blogger Zoe who affectionately calls her children terrorists, I could relate tonight (and on other occasions too.) They did not want to be in the grocery store at dinner time and they did everything to get me out of there. Smart little buggers, because it probably worked, as I was quick. Wouldn't you be under these circumstances?

Though Matt was the instigator of this whole thing, I swear his sixth sense knows what the word "itchy" does to me!!! to be continued.....

5 comments:

Zoe said...

ha. i skipped work to make sure my hair was done before thanksgiving. vain? oh well. great...i itch now.

NH Yocal said...

I too try so hard to do the mental thing with my lists but it never works.
And as for shopping with the kids, it never turns out good for me. Today I went to CVS and had to keep telling my son to sit nice in the back of the cart, he was pushing his body up against it back and forth (daughter was in the front buckled in), well don't you know he knocked the whole cart over? It was so embarrasing but thank God neither of them were hurt.

Anonymous said...

i try my hardest not to shop with my kids. Love them but hate dealing with them while shopping!

Mary said...

oooooh to be continued??
Might there be an itchy story about a bug coming????

girlymom said...

They are good!! A lollipop and a short grocery shop out of it all, it was all in their plan!