Monday, December 3, 2007

In search of an almost perfect....

Christmas tree for us! Though the outside temperature was a mere 11 degrees, John and I found our Christmas tree. Rest assure, it was no quick task. We dressed for the occasion, wearing, layers as well as our parkas and snow pants. The hand warmers which we slipped in our gloves, definitely aided our success. I wonder whose idea they were? We traipsed around Paines Christmas Tree Farm for about two hours, before we picked our winner. It was surely a team effort. Fortunately the tree farm encompassed many acres, therefore no one could have noticed how foolish we looked, checking out tree after tree!!! John takes a liking to the bigger trees. Do you think it's a guy thing? While I like a nicely shaped tree, but surely one that will fit in our living room without dwarfing it! We walked and walked but finally found "our" tree. Perhaps no tree was unturned, literally. The results, however were successful. Our efforts were all worth while, and we returned with a tree for which we are proud.

Our quest began on Saturday, when we headed to Vermont. We stayed at the Green Mountain Inn, in Stowe. Thank goodness we went tree hunting on Sunday as there was about a foot of snow on the ground when we woke this morning. We had a blast this weekend. We surely had a lot of laughs. Stowe Vermont is a special place for us. We had one of our first summer vacations there about a little over eight years ago. It's a place that I look forward to visiting every year.

Well it's just beginning to look like Christmas around here. Yes - Just beginning. In the next few days, we will hang the lights and decorate the tree. The boys LOVE doing all of this. After John and Matthew finish working their magic, our almost perfect Christmas tree will, in fact be perfect. (to us that is!)

A plus to our fantastic weekend was knowing that our boys were in good hands. Mary stayed with them at our house for the weekend, while my sister, Lisa and my mom helped out with the Monday dynamics. It was definitely a family effort, and I am very grateful.





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun. It sounds like you had a really nice time. I have always wanted to visit Vermont and the surrounding states. We had a friend moving to Connecticut, so we would like to travel that way next year sometime.

Patois42 said...

What a fun tradition you two have. Glad to hear it went well.

heather said...

Glad you had such a wonderful weekend away. Such a great tradition! And it looks like the perfect tree...
My husband and I are the same way (well, I guess I should say I am -he would probably pick the first tree he saw) with taking forever to pick one out. It has to be the perfect one, and of course I have to look at what feels like every tree on the farm to figure out which one's the best! lol!

Have fun decorating!!

Michelle Leigh said...

What a great weekend! Sounds amazing. I wish we could steal away to do something like that. But, I guess with 2 young kids and another on the way, we'll just have to wait... I'm glad you found your perfect tree. Have fun decorating, that's half the fun!

jenny said...

oh - i'm glad you guys had a great weekend. that is a cool tradition you and your hubby have. :)

the pictures are sweet - thanks for sharing! have fun decorating your tree!

Anonymous said...

You need to be modeling winter coats in Land's End Momma! I love the pictures of you and your husband, and, of course, of the perfect tree! Sounds like a wonderful weekend.

Mary said...

Ha! I love the comment from driving with the brakes on!!

Zoe said...

wow! sounds like you had a great time! i'm so glad you guys went!