Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A great year...

Today was the last day of second grade for John.
Each day, he looked forward to school.
His teacher was fantastic.
He flourished in her classrom.
She enclosed the following poem in a card to us.
Whose Child is This?
Author Unknown
"Whose child is this?" I asked one day
Seeing a little one out at play
"Mine", said the parent with a tender smile
"Mine" to keep a little while
To bathe his hands and comb his hair
To tell him what he is to wear
To prepare him that he may always be good
And each day do the things he should"
"Whose child is this?" I asked again
As the door opened and someone came in
"Mine", said the teacher with the same tender smile
"Mine, to keep just for a little while
To teach him how to be gentle and kind
To train and direct his dear little mind
To help him live by every rule
And get the best he can from school"
"Whose child is this?" I ask once more
Just as the little one entered the door
"Ours" said the parent and the teacher as they smiled
And each took the hand of the little child
"Ours to love and train together
Ours this blessed task forever."

17 comments:

Kellan said...

I love this poem! What a special day and that's a great photo!

Have a good evening, Amy - see you - Kellan

Kellan said...

I love this poem! What a special day and that's a great photo!

Have a good evening, Amy - see you - Kellan

Mari said...

What a great teacher. I think the teachers our kids have in the younger grades affect them for life. Those teachers help form their attitudes toward school for the rest of their school career. It sounds like John has been blessed with a great one!

kim-d said...

Wow, Amy JEAN, you are the Mom of a THIRD GRADER :)! John just looks so mature, and as handsome as always. No wonder he was so eager for school everyday, not only is his teacher gorgeous, but the inside obviously matches the outside! Awesome! What Mari said is so true; I STILL remember my first grade teacher because she was such a great teacher...

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oh how precious is THAT! That poem and photo is absolutely PERFECT Amy.

Happy Days said...

I love that poem! It got me all chocked up. It doesn't take much these days. I can't beleive he is a third grader.

Family Adventure said...

Seriously, Amy, your world is filled with gorgeous people. Your kids, yourselves, your teachers :)

I gave that poem to my boys' kindergarten teacher when the youngest one graduated from SK. We both cried. It's lovely.

Have a good summer,

Heidi

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

tonight is one of those nights where my hormones are on overload. I am now all crying because of this poem! It's WONDERFUL!!

Robyn said...

great poem

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

Hey. That is a great poem.

Anonymous said...

And now... the real fun begins! Summer for a third grader! Woo Hoo!
His hair looks soft. I just wanna touch it! The Boy told me tonight he misses his curls and can't wait till winter so I let him grow them back, but I kind of like this short summer hair on the little guys.
Good teachers are so wonderful. We have been blessed living in a smaller town and thus far we've had good ones thus far. Fingers crossed and praying for forth grade though... don't know any of the forth grade teachers at all to have a clue about them! :)

Lisa said...

That was not only a great poem, but what a great teacher to share that with her students/parents. She must be a really special person. You and your son were very blessed. Thank you for sharing. ps, I can't believe you are just now getting out of school. That is really late for us here in Oklahoma. Is that pretty common for you all there? Have a great summer.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Fantastic pic! Your kiddo is adorable. What a smile. :)

Hallie

KG said...

Is that the teacher? I bet all the boys have a crush on her - she's pretty!

kimmy said...

Love the poem. Sounds like an amazing teacher too!

Kimmy

Misty said...

What a beautiful woman that sounds like teaching is her calling. Wonderful.

Our Crooked Tree said...

How fabulous that she takes such pride in her job and your child!