Friday, June 6, 2008

Children need love...

I believe the children are our future Teach them well and let them lead the way Show them all the beauty they possess inside Give them a sense of pride… (Excerpt from the song, "Greatest Love of All" Written by Michael Masser and Linda Creed Performed by Whitney Houston)


I just have this on my mind today. Children need love. In order for our world to be a better place, all children need to be loved and need to know that they are loved. My mother always made a point to tell me that of course she and my father loved me, but additionally she would always go through the list of other people who cared (ie, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc). I grew up knowing that these people loved me and were proud of me too. These people also had high expectations of me. Knowing this, helped me to succeed. I wanted to make these people proud. Children need this love, and they need to know that other people are committed to them and rely on them. Of course children fail - we all do. Despite the failures, its easier to get back up again when one knows others are counting on them and believe in them. There can never be too many people cheering for a child. Whether it be your children, your friends', neighbors, family members' or neighbors' children, make all children know that they really matter. I think this would make our world a better place - they are our future.

19 comments:

just jamie said...

So true. Great reminder.

(P.S. That was our 6th grade "culmination" song. I know it word for word.)

Lisa said...

This is EXACTLY what I spend 16 years of my police work doing. Teaching the 5th, 7th and high school kids how very important and how special they are. For 16 years I devoted my life to it. The reward was seeing so many of those kids come back to me years later and bring THEIR children to meet me. I just wish we had DARE for the parents to go to. So THEY could understand how important their child was. I bet your husband sees a lot of what I am talking about. Here's to all of us that love children, unconditionally. Here here. Thank you for a BEAUTIFUL POSTING.

Corey~living and loving said...

oh yes! GREAT song....and sooooooooooo darn true. Thank you for a wonderful post. :)
have a great weekend.

Happy Days said...

You did it! The flood gates have opened. Oh man. You are so right!

Mari said...

Very good post. It makes such a differance for a child to know that they are loved - the more the better!

Michelle Leigh said...

Well said Amy. My cousin has 2 kids, one lives with him and one lives with his ex. The one that lives with him is such a sweet little girl. She has such potential to be a beautiful and caring person if only her dad were "better". I don't doubt that he loves her, but the way he lives his life is very questionable. I seriously want to take her into my home and show her what she is missing. The only problem is, we'd have to deal with my cousin. I've given so much thought to having her come here. I would love to hug her, kiss her and tell her how special she is every day.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

i need this today...teens are HARD to make understand that you love them and believe in them even when they are in self destruct mode... and mine is ... sigh

Janice {Run Far} said...

Awww.. I have always loved that song

Misty said...

This is especially true.

Being a child that grew up not loved, and grew up abused.... it was the adult, outside of the family, that loved me from time to time, that helped me to remain whole.

Let's love our own children, and also children in general.

They are God's greatest gift and treasure.

Anonymous said...

Very sweet post. I agree wholeheartedly And now... I am belting Whitney. It's a good thing, trust me ;)

kim-d said...

Here, Here, Amy JEAN Kelly!!! No truer words were ever spoken. We ALL need to "catch" kids in the act of doing good things. We need to acknowledge the really important things--like being kind to others, sharing, and responsibility. And if we show our kids how much we love them, then we are, in turn, also showing them how to love back. To me, there is not such thing as a kid being loved too much. You said it beautifully, Amy JEAN :)!

KG said...

People are SOO mean to their kids! I swear I thnk that's why kids are so poorly behaved. People aren't patient with them and don't seem to really like spending time with them, either. I don't get it.

Robyn said...

great post, I need to work on this with the boy.

Angela said...

Knowing and hearing
I Love You makes the love just a bit more real.
So true

Kellan said...

Yes, they do!!

Have a good Sunday, Amy - see you soon - Kellan

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Truer words have never been spoken. They truly are everyone's greatest investment and all they need is LOVE.

Bogart said...

I want one.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Amen! Great reminder. If only we would show more children how much we love them and they wouldn't think they have to find it in things and drugs and other people....

*sigh*

Nice post.

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

Amen. This is so true and why I still hug and kiss my almost 15 year old each day. I have told them.. you need a hug from me every day while your still my child...