Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Kill him with kindness....

well no not really but here's what happened. Lately John hasn't quite been himself. Though a bit sensitive (mostly in a good way), he's a happy go lucky kid. He has a great sense of humor, and he genuinely loves life, as he should. Recently, something has been bothering him. Though I think this time of year can be difficult on children, especially with all the excitement and anticipation, I think it's a bit more for him.

I know one of his classmates sometimes gives him a hard time. Not exactly in the bullying sense but more like trying to be one step a head of him. Perhaps he's vying to be, as the kids put it, cooler? In any event, I know John's bothered when he never picks John for his kick ball team or when John asks him to be his partner, he chooses someone else. I know kids do the darnedest things but sometimes it breaks my heart. Though he isn't actually doing anything to John physically, kids don't like to be left out. They want to feel good about themselves (and it doesn't end as kids!)
Well every so often, John will make a comment about this boy and it's never in a mean way. For example, he'll just ask why we think he doesn't pick him for his team or why he won't talk to him? While trying to remain on the positive side, I'll just try to reassure John and tell him that thought sometimes people aren't always inclusive or nice, he (John) should still be.

After school today, John emptied out his back-pack, as he does every day. Mixed in with one of his papers was a hand-written note. A note he wrote to the previously mentioned boy.

To: XXXX
From: John
Hope you have a great day and Merry Christmas!

then written on the bottom was

To:John
From:XXX
Thanks!

Seriously I don't like to brag. I would never want to sound obnoxious. However, I feel incredibly blessed especially when at a mere 7 and half years old, this kids is really getting it. He's well on his way in this life. He knows how to treat people kindly, and I know he'll go far. I am not bragging, but I am proud.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story! John sounds like such an amazing kid - he is well on his way to becoming a fabulous young man and adult. Way to go Momma!

Happy Days said...

He really is a special kid. I don't know where you got him. jk

beanski said...

Adorable! Love the picture...he looks so happy!

Michelle Leigh said...

That really is a sweet story. You are doing a great job teaching him how to be compassionate. He will be one of those great men.

Mary said...

That is why I LOVE this kid!
Hey, nice picture...........I wonder who took it?!

Zoe said...

kids can be so cruel and it seems to start younger and younger. what a lovely son you are raising!

Anonymous said...

Oh, What a Cute and Sweet boy you have! That story made me teary eyed!

jenny said...

you should be proud! :)

Kellan said...

What a sweet story and such a good boy. You should be very proud. See ya. Kellan

Patois42 said...

I wasn't liking the other kid at all. Then I saw his answer. Here's hoping the two kids can "get together."

Maria said...

Doesn't just break your heart when someone makes your kid sad? So you're the one with the 7 1/2 year old John. My John is 7 1/2 too, born June 29. I write a lot about him in my blog. What can I say? There's a lot to talk about with boys this age, huh.