Monday, April 21, 2008

The shot heard around the world.....

Happy Patriots Day! On April 19, 1775, Colonists took up arms in defense of their rights and clashed with British Regulars, thus igniting a war that would lead to the birth of our independent nation. "The shot heard round the world" began the American Revolution. Now that you have had your mini-history lesson, I'll tell you about our little historical adventure today. It began at 4:30 am, at the sound of my alarm clock. This was quite a feat for me. Generally I do not rise that early. Additionally, in the interest of time, I was unable to shower and primp! Within ten minutes the four of us where in the car on the way to Lexington, MA where we watched the reenactment of "the Battle on the Lexington Green." This was the beginning of the American Revolution. If you have ever heard, "the Red coats are coming...." this is what its all about. Afterwards we moved on to Concord MA, where we viewed the Concord Parade and visited the Old North Bridge where the first major battle of the American Revolution occurred. While I am not history scholar, it can be explained in further detail here.

While I wasn't looking forward to waking so early, it turned out to be a fantastic day. Big and little John love history and you can't get any closer to history than events such as these. Where we live, history surrounds us. My home town is the birthplace of two American Patriots and Presidents. There is so much for me to see and learn, and I am happy that I can do this with my children.

Here are some pictures from our day. Let's just say that Matthew woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!


17 comments:

Mari said...

Our family loves history too and this looks like fun. I love those re-enactments and your son looks great in his costume!
PS - We are going to be in Colonial Williamsburg later this week, so we'll see a lot of history.

Misty said...

I LOVE the east coast, formerly living in Maine, myself. Sounds like a delicious day. xo Misty

Are You Serious! said...

♥ How awesome! That would be so great to see! Looks like a great time!

jessica said...

oh i'd love to do something like that with my son. great photos, and to be a part of it, so awesome for your son!

Bogart said...

And the Sox delivered a BIG win...does not get much better than that!

Kellan said...

What a fun day and what fabulous pictures - truly beautiful!! Glad you all had such a good day!

TAke care - Kellan

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Really cool. We don't get that kind of history in San Diego!

kim-d said...

I love history as well, and this type of thing is right up my alley. Bamy JEAN Kelly, you have such a cute(YOU!)/handsome(the Johns and Matt's head) family. Such a fun time, and I trust Matt was able to rally, possibly a little later in the day???? HAHAHA! What a great way to honor Patriot's Day...

just jamie said...

You know, you are a really cool family. I wish we lived closer so you could rub off on me.

Great pics. You're adorable Miss Amy! If you look that good 10 minutes after rolling out of bed, I need a lesson. I'm hideous without a shower.

Robyn said...

That looks like so much fun. My husband would've loved that. He is a huge US history guy. He's been watching "The Revolution" and "John Adams"

Jaime Cox said...

Sweet!!

So E and I have been watching the HBO series John Adams. Ugh.... it's embarrassing at how little I remember from school. EMBARRASSING!
And as an adult, I'm so much more interested. However, watching the show is kind of like reading the Bible. I have a hard time understanding the words! Aaahhh!!

That seems like a great day!

shay said...

Cool!
What a lovely looking family you have!
And a fun day!

Amy said...

How fun! I LOVE history and want to get up to New England sometime to see things just like this.

Mary said...

Thanks for sharing your day with us :)

Anonymous said...

This is soooooo awesome! I have been a little involved with politics the past few days and my blog reading has fallen behind, but I was so tickled to find this post! My family does stuff like this! So cool.

Kendra said...

We too love history. I'm jealous ~ There is nothing like that around where I live!
Those photos are great!

Ice Cream said...

Wow, I wish they did stuff like that here.