Saturday, April 26, 2008

13 is the magic number......

It is 6:00 pm and John should have been here any minute. I am so excited. I just turned twenty-two, and he is taking me out to celebrate my birthday. A birthday and a new and more importantly, special boyfriend, what could be better? Of course I had been ready for a half hour, I am just waiting for my date!

It's 6:45 pm, and the phone rings. It's John telling me he is a little late (do you think?) and he will be there soon. Oh well, I am still excited and can wait. Good things are worth waiting for, right?

It's 8:00 pm and still no John. Oh wait here goes the phone again. This time there was a small snafu and he's on his way. I am a little nervous (and a bit annoyed) by this time, but I will take his word for it. Fifteen minutes later, John arrives dawning roses. We are on our way.

He picked out the restaurant. I have never been there. It is a few towns away. We pull up. It looks nearly empty. Perhaps its because it is a week night? We go inside. It is a quaint place - a converted quarry mill. To my dismay they stopped seating patrons at 8:45. It is 8:55.

While I am sure P.J. was a bit embarrassed, I am still happy to be out with him on my birthday. Really the best part of that year, for me, is him. Though this may sound crazy, I never thought I would meet someone as special.

I thought of another restaurant near by that was still open, and we had a nice meal. Was it a nice meal or just wonderful company? I think the latter is more fitting. Regardless it was an awesome birthday even though it didn't start out the way we intended. His original plan was thwarted for reasons that I am still not aware. However, I now know that time easily gets away from him and procrastination is his middle name. Though now I can control it or at least try.

Fast forward thirteen years - yes 13! We are now married. We just celebrated my 14th birthday together. Though our plans did not work out 13 years ago, John had a plan this year. Thirteen years later, John took me back to that same restaurant. However, this year he was on time (or should I say, WE were on time!) We went back to that quaint restaurant. We had a wonderful time. So much as changed in thirteen years, yet so much is still the same. He was my special present 13 years ago and he still is!

28 comments:

Mari said...

Hi - I'm back and catching up. Happy Birthday to you and John! What a great story about your birthday 13 years ago. I'm glad you were able to get there this year!

KG said...

How great that he took you there again! I love that!

And Happy Anniversary!

just jamie said...

That is so darn sweet. Happy Birthday Amy JEAN Kelly. :)

Mom said...

Happy Birthday Amy! What a great story , and how incredibly sweet of your husband!

Lisa said...

Oh I love when men are romantic like that. How thoughtful and sweet, and .....did it win him any brownie points? Happy birthday. By the way, 13 is my lucky number, my daughter was born on Friday the 13th, (1984) one of the best days of my life!

Are You Serious! said...

♡ What a great story! Happy BIRTHDAY!!! ☺

Robyn said...

What a guy. Happy Birthday.

jessica said...

what a romantic! happy birthday to you! he's making men look bad everywhere... ;)

Family Adventure said...

Happy birthday, Amy! How great that you were able to go back and have that missed meal 14 years later :)

Heidi

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

You sound like me - from the beginning - I never cared what we did. We had a great time just being together.

KEEP BELIEVING

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

how sweet! sounds like a wonderful birthday!

Happy Days said...

Great Story! Glad you had a good birthday!

Our Crooked Tree said...

Oh Happy Days! Good for you both!

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

Happy Birthday! And wow! Congrats on 13 years too!

kim-d said...

Awww, Amy JEAN Kelly, this is just the sweetest post ever! I love that John did that for your birthday; how sweet and romantic was that, anyway! You were a very wise 22-year-old to recognize that you had found yourself a KEEPER :).

Hope the rest of your weekend was equally sweet...

Angela said...

Been asleep this past week.

Happy birthday!
The company I agree makes the experience so much better.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Happy Anniversary, what a sweet tale and even sweeter journey!

CC said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!! But I'm dying to know what he was DOING for those 2 hours that you were pacing the house!!??

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

How totally sweet! It made me kind of weepy.

My Hubby has done some nice things like that too.

Happy belated birthday!

Abbie said...

That is SO awesome!! What a thoughtful guy! :) Happy Happy Birthday dear one!

Michelle Leigh said...

What a great story! That is really very sweet and nice that you finally made it to that restaurant, 13 years later!

girlymom said...

Happy Birthday Amy! Sounds to me like you have youself a keeper! I love how you describe the pure happiness of just being with him.

My Hubby and I are like that. When were first met, he was on leave for 5 weeks, we spent every single moment that we could together. Even now, after 11 years, I still get anxious for him to come home, follow him around like a puppy and talk his ear off. Loves amazing.

Kendra said...

What a great story. Happy belated birthday! I'm sure it was fabulous.

Mary Alice said...

Now, that's romantic.

Amy said...

How sweet is he to take you back there! That is awesome! Happy Birthday Amy!

tricki_nicki said...

Happy birthday Amy! Thirteen years together is something to be proud of - here's to 13 more!

Ice Cream said...

You were (are) a good woman not to bite his head off for being so late and making you miss dinner seating (I get grumpy when I'm hungry). I'm so glad he continues to be your best birthday present, all marriages should be that way. =)

Ris said...

Oh that is so sweet! Very thoughtful of him!