Saturday, March 29, 2008

Your only a mother....

Yesterday was career day at my youngest son's preschool. All month long, they have been discussing different professions which were mostly public service related. The culmination of the month was yesterday's event, whereby each child brought in an item that was a clue to what they wanted to be when they are grown. I reminded my son yesterday morning that he needed to bring in an item. Upon my asking, Matt stated that he was going to bring in a basketball, because he wanted to be a basketball coach. First he asked me if basketball coaches get paid. I replied yes. Then he said, "good then that would be a good profession." Of course in his mind, there was a direct correlation between a profession and monetary compensation. While the brain of a soon to be 5 year old is continuously thinking and changing, within minutes Matthew changed his mind. He told me he was now going to be a Marine, because he had told his cousin Charlie, who is also in his class, that he wanted to be a basketball coach and therefore he thought Charlie would do the same thing. So a Marine he would be. He picked one of his dad's U.S.M.C. hats and put it in his bag.

I dropped my future jar head off at school, and continued on with my day. I went grocery shopping with Thomas in tow. I then brought all my groceries home, put them away, cleaned up a bit, played with Thomas, and then it was time to pick up Matthew. While waiting in the foyer of the preschool something on the wall caught my eye. Apparently the teachers has asked each child what their parents' professions were. I scanned the list for Matthew's name. "My mom cleans the house, and my dad is a police officer." I felt an immediate knot form in my stomach. I smiled and laughed a bit. At this point more parents arrived and where huddled around the list, waiting for their children. Matt was dismissed, and we headed home.

For a little while later, I kept thinking about Matt's description of what I do - "my mom cleans the house...." Is that really how he sums up my duties? After some contemplation, I was okay. In fact, Matt was completely correct in his statement - I do clean the house. Of course there are many more duties associated with my job as mother, but he realized one of them. He did not say my mom does nothing. No, he clearly defined one of my tasks. The role of a mother has many defining elements. While us mothers, have some common threads we all have a slightly different job description and that's okay. That being said, I still remember a comment made to my mom a number of years ago. In a family conversation, a certain someone refuted a statement that my mom made. That certain someone, who at the time was not yet a mother, said (to my mother) "you're only a mother." Clearly she was correct in her statement. My mom was, in fact, a mother but what that certain someone failed to realize is what the role of a mother encompasses - it is vast. It is huge. I often wonder how that certain someone would feel if someone referred to her as being "only a mother". Certainly she would now realize how much many duties fall under this job title!

For a good laugh and another tale of motherhood at it's finest, check out Lisa at Happy Days!

36 comments:

Are You Serious! said...

♥ I like the title of Domestic Engineer! :)

Family Adventure said...

Excellent post, Amy. And it is interesting to read what Cheri commented, too.

Mothering is the most important job I could ever have. Period.

Heidi

KG said...

Heh - my kid couldn't even put that I clean the house on his list . . . . 'cause I hire somebody to do that. I guess he could put something like "professional bulldozer" or something instead.

kim-d said...

"You're only a mother." Oh boy, Amy JEAN Kelly, you can almost imagine what I have to say about a statement like that, right?

As the stepmother of two adult children, and as a daughter whose Mother died 10 years ago, I can say that, in my humble opinion, being only a mother is the single most important thing around. It's a HUGE umbrella, that has about a gazillion tasks all huddled under that HUGE Mother umbrella.

It would have been my honor to have been only a Mother, who cleans the house! You rock, Amy JEAN Kelly!!!

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

I am a mother.

Amen.

Happy Days said...

Amy,
This was a great post. You have a way with words. You were very forgiving to a "certain someone". I have a hard time with that, mostly because all of the crazy things that have been done and said over a lot of years. It is funny to me how forgiving you actually write because you don't always sound this way when you speak. You are very elloquent with words and I admire that about you. We all know that you do alot more than clean the house and I do alot more than take care of "the baby". I wouldn't trade it for anything. Even though, sometimes the days get really long, we are so lucky to have this "mother" job!!!

Anonymous said...

It has taken quite awhile, but I am finally learning to bristle less when someone says that my husband works, while I 'just' stay home with the kids. No one - especially someone without children of their own - understands what being a parent entails, particularly one who 'just' stays home with their children. Very well written, as always!

Mari said...

Great post! I've enjoyed the comments too. I am working full time, since my kids are all older but the best, and most important job I ever had was being a Mom. It still is!

Anonymous said...

I clicked over after reading some of what you said on Scarlett's blog in response to Big Daddy (and agreeing with you!)
This post is really sweet. I think it's darling that your son said that. Being a mom is such an important job. Someday your boys will have very clear job description in their hearts of all you did for them :)
Looking forward to looking around your blog some more!

Our Crooked Tree said...

I don't think we fully understand the role of mother until we become parents...he is on his way though. When my sone was going to preschool (he was about 2) his teacher asked him what mommy and daddy do; he said daddy changes lightbulbs and mommy plays.

just jamie said...

Oh, I think it's sweet. How lucky are we to get to be a Mother? What a gift. Oh, and cleaning the house, whew, what a gift that is, too, right?

Claire said...

Hi Amy! Thanks for visiting my blog, via Scarlett's.

I love this post. I have always had to work, but made the decision five years ago to find work that enabled me to be home more and homeschool my kids. Recently, my work dried up (loan signings) almost completely, and I LOVE "just" being a mom. I do it much better when I'm not pulled in so many directions.

Have a blessed day!

Robyn said...

The role of Mom does encompass a great deal of things. Did you ever ask Matt about what he wrote?

Angela said...

If only it was paid work.
we would be rich

Misty said...

One truth I know in the deepest part of my heart of hearts in the worth there in in being able label myself as a mother. And not only as a mother, but as a mother who is trying her hardest to give her whole heart in the attempt to be good at "what she does". Excellent post.

From this MOM, to another excellent mother, who also values her "work in the home".

xo Misty

Laski said...

ONLY A MOTHER . . . could do what we do. 'nuff said

Mom said...

You know kids tend to call 'em as they see 'em, I am afraid to think what mine would say I do! Just he other day was in our home office and my youngest said why are you in daddy's office I said it is mine to, no it isn't he replied your office is far away! Took me awhile to soak that one in.

kim-d said...

Hey, Amy JEAN Kelly!!! Happy Monday morning to you. Where are you, girl? Are you off just being a Mother? HAHAHAHA! C'mon, at least post a pic for me...I'm going through Amy JEAN Kelly withdrawal :).

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

My 5 year old thinks that the largest part of being a mother is spending time on the computer. I would rather him think of me as a house-keeper. As you can tell, I need to work on this.

KEEP BELIEVING

Melissa said...

Yea...I am way busier has a SAHM. I thought I was going to be board and have nothing to do. I was sooooo wrong. I don't even have time to do the things I NEED to do :)

jenny said...

i do believe that people don't understand what being a mom is until they are one. :) good post!

kimmy said...

I love being a mother...even if my kids don't fully appreciate all that I do. I know they will someday and they will thank me for it!

Great post!

Kimmy

Alice said...

I'm not a mother, but I learned very quickly when I kept my best friend's 3 children for almost two years - there is no such thing as "just a mother." But until you have kids - you can't know this. :)

OHmommy said...

Domestic Engineer all the way.

Cute post!

Tonya said...

"You're ONLY a mother"???? HA!!!!!! That's a GOOD ONE! I got an email a while back about a lady who'd been snubbed on some paperwork. (I don't remember if it was a job application or what?) Anyway.. the lady started naming off the jobs she did every day.....

Accountant/Banker
Social Worker
Housekeeper
Referee
Judge
Chef

The list can CLEARLY go on and on. Other than being called a child of GOD'S, my FAVORITE other (two) titles are wife and mom!

Thanks for reminding us that we are good for something other than washing dishes. (Heehee) ;-)

Lizzy in the Burbs said...

No employer could afford to pay us what we are worth, if you think about all the tasks and responsibilities that come with being "just" a mom. Multi-tasking? Puhlease! At any given moment I'll bet that all of us are doing at least three things at one time, from the moment you roll out of bed in the morning until you crawl into bed at night. It truly IS the hardest job, but most definitely the most rewarding!

Lizzy
p.s. Are you gonna play the Lotto this weekend? :o) Just wonderin'!

kim-d said...

Feeling better today, Amy JEAN? Hope so!

Amy said...

It is the hardest, most rewarding job I have ever had and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Misty said...

I moved. I would love it if you would follow me over to:

www.mylesstraveledroad.blogspot.com

Love, Misty

Kellan said...

Great post Amy! It is hard to define exactly what a mother is, isn't it? I think your son did a good job and it is nice that he notices how busy you are.

Have a good afternoon - see you soon - Kellan

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

That was just precious. It is nice to see that your family is a product of the U.S.M.C. I too was the daughter of a Marine. My oldest daughter Meghan was even born on the Marine Corp Birthday (Nov. 10th OOH RAH!) My father asked me if I would consider naming her Maureen Cora.

I don't think so dad.

Blessings, Joanne

Oh, one more thing, when my son David was your son's age we asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up. We thought for sure he would say a police officer like my husband. Nope, not David. He said he wanted to be a fireman, or a lion tamer.

Amy said...

So true...I've always worked, although tried to have jobs that allowed me to be home as much as possible...and there have been many days where my 12 hour shift was much easier than being at home...:-)

Maria said...

I guess you can't take it too personally, that's all I seem to ever do!

Zoe said...

when i stayed at home my pediatrician said i was doing my pediatric residency and internship. it felt better.

Jaime Cox said...

yeah... you're good. Way to write it!
Sometimes I've felt "not so smart" because I'm a SAHM. But you know what.... the house wouldn't function the way it does without us!

SaraLynn said...

I really enjoyed reading your post. Being a mother is hard work...and the most rewarding!