Monday, March 10, 2008

A letter to a hoarder....

Dear Mrs X,

You said yesterday that I am "nasty, sassy, pushy, and just not nice". I am sorry that you feel this way. You mentioned the other day that this world was an awful place - that people aren't nice to one another and do not help each other. I told you that I do not agree. I do not believe everyone is bad. I like to think that I am a kind and caring, person. You replied, "sometimes you are and and sometimes you aren't." Your statements trouble me for many reasons.

Last summer when you fell and needed hospitalization, I met you in the emergency room. The next day, I bought you a new nightgown, bathrobe, and pajamas, as I felt badly that you didn't have any of your own things. While you were in the hospital, John and I continued to visit you. In fact, I repeatedly got babysitters to mind my children so that I could visit you. Additionally, John and I helped you to deal with your biggest problem - the condition of your house.

Although we have been your neighbors for ten years, you never let us see the inside of your home. We knew why, upon seeing the state of your home, when you went to the hospital. When the emergency people responded to your medical call, they saw the inside of your house. The state of your home was "unfit for human habitation". That is what the Board of Health determined after responding to your home. They condemned it until it was brought up to the health code. While I can't imagine how hard this situation was for you, John and I helped to do everything to get your house back in order. You entrusted us to do this, and in no way did we fall short. You see, when the hot summer temperatures were in the 90's we were inside of your house broiling, while trying to salvage the things that you requested. You may have forgotten, and that's probably better if you did, but there was only one narrow path trough your house. Piles of stuff fell every which way when we attempted to walk around inside. There were no clean or uncluttered surfaces. The odor was atrocious, and the filth was indescribable. Though, my anxiety level soared out of control every time I entered your house, I did not let it stop me from doing the things that needed to be done. We both stayed true to our promise to you.

During the months you were in rehab, John and I continued to visit you. We sacrificed our family time because it was the right thing to do. We took care of things that you asked us to do. John spent countless hours making phone calls, getting quotes for the work that need to be done on your house, and clearing out stuff that should be saved. All the while, the boys and I, were here. It was a very trying time for all of us. On the night of our 10th wedding anniversary, we were taking care of things for you in your house.

Through out this whole ordeal, your primary goal was to come home to your house. First and foremost, you needed to be strong enough and in the end, you were. Secondly, your house needed to be fit for human living. While it was up to you to regain your strength and get well, you left it up to us to make your home suitable for human existence. We did just that, but this was only achieved through hard work and compassion.

You arrived home and we spent time with you. In the weeks and months after you returned, I always asked if you needed items at the grocery store. In the beginning, you seemed appreciative. As the months passed you were more demanding and things were never good enough. I bought you the wrong items, I didn't go to the right store, and better yet, I don't pay attention. These are all things of which you accused me. Though you did not act gracious, I continued to call you. I tried to make pleasant conversations, but instead you continued to complain. You consistently talked so negatively.

In spite of the things you said to me yesterday, I will still call you. I will still reach out to you, as that is the Christian thing to do. I refuse to let you sour my view of elderly people, as I know this has nothing to do with growing old. I do feel badly that you have no family. I have forgiven you. While not only did you put yourself in danger by your way of living, you endangered you neighbors as well. Thankfully, the pests are now gone and your house is no longer a fire trap.

When no one else seemed to care about you, we did. I would not want my worst enemy to live in the kind of conditions, in which you were living. I am not sorry for anything I said the other day. I know we did the right thing to help you in the beginning, and our positive actions have continued. I did not cause your problems, though you blame things on me. You and your obsessive hoarding behavior have been your demise. I am sorry you can not see this.

Warm regards,

Amy


NOTE: Of course, I will never send this letter, though I wish I could. Mrs. X is an elderly woman, and I do not want to upset her.

41 comments:

Misty said...

Girl! Good job on venting it OUT!

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

Oh, I bet that felt great to get off your chest!

Mary said...

Amy, I wish your readers knew just how awful this house was. Piles upon piles of stuff higher than the back of a couch. The kitchen table? I know it was there somewhere.
You know that deep down in there she does know you are kind. She just needs someone to vent it to every so often. Unfortunately it's you. Probably because you do listen. Probably because you don't cut her short. Probably because you bring her ice cream. You give her time and she knows it. She's angry all the time and you give her the time to get it out.

Amy said...

I LOVE your new banner! and I bet it felt good to get that out even though you couldn't lay it out to the person who needed to hear it...sometimes just saying it is enough...

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

I am related to someone who hoards. It is a disease. It is something that is so hard to deal with. I too have been yelled at and will never be forgiven for "throwing" garbage away.

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

Oh.. I know how awful it can be. So awful that they can NOT get into the bedrooms... so they sleep on a couch. You can't see the floors...

It is a disease.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the new look! Spending time on the ambulance I went into many homes that were 'unfit for human habitation'. The residents were usually lonely, mean, and angry elderly women who reacted to kind words like oil reacts to vinigar. I admire you for continuing to do the Christian thing, and for being the one person that she can count on - I am sure that deep down she knows and realizes that, and is thankful for the friendship and kindness that you have shown her.

Zoe said...

you have the patience of a saint! btw love your new header!

jenny said...

wow. i can only imagine what you had to deal with in order to help this woman. this is the best place to vent it all out!

Our Crooked Tree said...

the elderly and toddlers can say just about anything and we have to cut them some slack. a friend of mine has a mother in law that is a hoarder and she deals with similar verbal situations; it is definetly an illness. you are an inspiration for holding your tounge; I am not so good at that!

KG said...

You're way nicer than I am.

See, with my nutty Mrs. Kravitz who lives across the hall, I was nice at first. I really was. Then I lost patience as she became more and more obnoxious. Though I must say in my defense, Mrs. X sounds like she's actually ill. I don't think Mrs. Kravitz can claim illness as an excuse for her insanity. She's just annoying. She's not old enough to be senile or eccentric. She's just shrew-like.

Also, are social services involved? If not, they should be! You guys are putting in a LOT of work on this woman. The state gets paid to help her! You should spread some of that effort around! And again . . . you're way nicer than I am.

Robyn said...

You are a way better person than I am. I can't imagine going through someones house like that. Ours is bad enough.

Jaime Cox said...

You reap what you sew:) Good job, Amy... Not that you are asking for a pat on the back, but I would have lost patience by now.

Alice said...

You will never be sorry for helping someone who needs it. And trust me, although she may never thank you, you will have much greater rewards for caring for someone who doesn't deserve it. We are truly at our finest when we care for those who may not be "worthy", but in all honesty, God has deemed us all worthy and your good works have not gone unnoticed.
You and your husband are obviously good people. I hope you'll continue to care for your neighbor (Without sacrificing yourself) and know that while she may not appreciate it, you are speaking volumes to those of us who are watching.

Angela said...

Doing a good deed is not always easy
That is so wonderful of you guys.
It is nice to vent isn't it.

kim-d said...

Oh Amy. You and John did, and still do, the right thing. I don't think I will ever understand what happens to some people, that makes them try to drive away the few good things in their life. That you refuse to let Mrs. X drive you away...you guys just continue to do the right thing, even when it would be easier on YOU not to. I wish you were my neighbor, Amy JEAN Kelly. Here to "listen" anytime YOU need to vent!

beanski said...

You are a saint, Amy. I've always thought it from reading your posts where kindness is apparent but it has been confirmed! :)

Love the new look, by the way!

OHmommy said...

Wow.... you guys are incredible people.

I wish you lived next door to us. :)

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Wow - I'd like to thtink the weight of the world was lifted by you writing this but I suspect there will be more weight piled on as you continue to deal with "X."

She may never acknowledge how wonderful you are to her but it does not go unnoticed by others.

Kudos to you for reaching out...
Hallie

Maria said...

I know it's frusterating, but I hear this about a lot of older people. They sometimes seem like they're getting mean in their old age. I don't understand why. Hopefully we don't ever get like that, right?

Are You Serious! said...

♥ I think you're amazing that you keep helping her inspite of her questionable behavior! Way to turn the other cheak!

Happy Days said...

I know I have been known to be nasty to the ones that I love the most and the ones that are nicest to me! It does not make it right, but man I sure wouldn't want to be her in this world with nobody! Glad she has you guys!!! She will never know how lucky she is, but that is ok, because although it is so hard, You are doing the right thing. It is sure good to vent about it!!!

Amy said...

WOW! You are amazing! I'm so sorry that your neighbor can't see that. The world needs more people like you and your husband.

Melissa said...

so sorry to hear that the woman was upset with you, espesally after everything you guys did for her. Sounds like you guys did a lot. Not many people would do that. Hopefully she understands now and you feel good about everything. Such a sweet heart!

Kellan said...

I can only imagine the amount of time, effort and love you have given to this neighbor. I wish you were my neighbor - you are obviously a very kind and giving person (you and your husband). I'm sure this woman must be grateful, but I am so sorry she does not show it - that is very disheartening! I'm proud of you - very, very PROUD!! And proud to call you my friend.

Take care - Kellan

Lizzy in the Burbs said...

Hi, Amy!

You and your hubby are earning your angel wings! That's a wonderful thing you did for her, and deep down I'm sure she realizes that. There are good and compassionate people in the world, and you are one of them!

Lizzy

Tari said...

Way to get it out. Good luck with the relationshop. It sounds like a hard one but you will be blessed for your efforts.

Corey~living and loving said...

WOW! what a touching and meaningful post. I am so very glad to have read it.

you are a wonderful person, and she is very lucky to have you in her life.

Abbie said...

WHEW!! I bet that felt so good to get off your chest! You are a wonderful woman! :)

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Way to vent it out in a healthy way. You are truly a light of God in this woman's life. Most people who need God the most don't come across as pleasant. You can be proud of yourself for what you are doing. You are doing what Jesus would do. I, without knowing you at all, am proud of you.

KEEP BELIEVIGIN

kimmy said...

My grandparents are a lot like your neighbor. Their house is so full of junk and they will not get rid of it or move into an assited living facility. It can be frustrating when all you want to do is help!

You are a great neighbor to be there for her!

Kimmy

Mom said...

Wow that is some powerful stuff and I applaud you for doing what you have done further I applaud you for not stooping to her leave and spitting spiteful words back at her. You are a better person then I am. But tell me it deal feel good to type that out didn't it? LOL

just jamie said...

Amy, You're even more amazing than I thought. You inspire me to be a better person. Truly.

P.S. Tagged you for some homework over at my blog. :)

just jamie said...

Oh, you already knew that. duh.

♥♥♥ A- Licious ♥♥♥ said...

wow...

kudos mama.

good deeds never go unnoticed.

;o)

i am sure that was a lot to get off your chest. i agree sending the letter will just upset her...

the verbal lashing is part of the hoarding, i think. i have a gf i think who suffers from this.

it's sad.

but you & your family are BLESSINGS to this woman....and deep down mama - she knows it...GOD knows it.

AWESOMELY FANTASTIC!

Woo HOO!

;o)

a-licious
in da hizzzzouse

oh and i am so dig n your new banner!

HOW do i get a banner? my page looks like a hoarders page...LMAO

**kidding**

but it IS cluttered...lol

Janice {Run Far} said...

Hoarders.....I am so the opposite. I never keep stuff, if anything I am to wasteful. I hate clutter and it sucks hard that she is pretty grouchy after all you have done for her.

girlymom said...

You are far more gracious than I am. I cannot imagine going through all of "that" to help someone out and then have them be ungrateful. My inlaws house is packed with stuff...not hoarder like, but still pretty bad- I will let the older kids go there to play, but not the younger ones...without me anyways. There is too much that is dangerous, goes into the mouth and is simply scary and not worth it. Sad.

Hopefully your neighbor won't revert back into her hoarding ways.

Unknown said...

The best thing to do is what you just did...get it out in writing and not send it. It must have felt good to do it.

I don't think I could be as big of a person as you and your husband after what you've endured with this elderly neighbor. Major props to you guys.

Unknown said...

PS. Your blog looks wicked!! Not sure if you made a change, but the banner is stunning :)

Denise H. said...

Even though you can't send it, I bet that it feels good to vent. Great Job on sticking in there. I'm not sure if I could do it.

Anonymous said...

Oh snap! That is just not right, how nice of you and your husband to help so much!!