Monday, July 14, 2008

Two is the lucky number.....

two wheels that is. Matt learned to ride his two-wheel bike without training wheels today. Though the training wheels came off a few months ago, and he rode it a little, he had not mastered riding by himself. He couldn't start himself - that was until today. However, he needed a little persuasion. Earlier today, John and his friend were riding their bikes, and Matt wanted to also. However, he hadn't ridden in a while and was unsure of himself. Therefore, he asked John to put the training-wheels back on. John said, "no way." He didn't want him going backwards. Instead, he took Matt across the street to an empty, grassy lot that's kind of sunken down. He pushed him down the little hills and it was like he knew how, all along. It was his fear of fallen that had been holding him back. Well he couldn't get hurt on the grass - knowing this was all he needed. He did this a few times, and he got his confidence back. After dinner he wanted to do this more, however he still couldn't start himself. He wanted me to give him a push. I did this a few times then told him he could do it by himself. He was hesitant, but tried it. He did it! That was all she wrote - he can officially start, ride, and stop, a two-wheeler. Now I say, "where did my baby go?"

24 comments:

Are You Serious! said...

♡ Yay! I still haven't gotten my 8 year old to figure it out! It's so frustrating!

Robyn said...

Big step, those 2 wheelers. He'll have the whole world now. Well the neighborhood anyhow.

Mari said...

That's a big step. Yeah for Matt!

Kellan said...

Way to go, Matt!!! A good day!

Take care - Kellan

Don Mills Diva said...

Yay for Matt!

My little one is still working on mastering his tricycle!

kim-d said...

Down the street with the rest of "the guys" on his two-wheeler, that's where your baby went!!! YAY, MATT!

Michelle Leigh said...

Yay for Matt! That's awesome. Annika loves her bike, but she's still too little for it. It just floors me how fast these kids grow up. It's insane, exciting and of course bittersweet!

Lisa said...

Oh man, that is great news. But you know what?? I am REALLY proud he has a helment on. And it is a cool looking one at that. He shows his wisdom in wearing that head gear. One small step for mankind, one giant step for Matt.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

kudos to the newest member of the two wheeled world!!!!!!!!
great pics~
Laura

Melissa said...

oh yea! My niece just learn how to do the two wheel also.

jessica said...

how exciting! congrats to him!! love the photos.

Jaime Cox said...

Yay!!! I can still remember the day I learned to ride my bike. Exactly like Matt did, in a big grassy area!! Whoot whoot!

BlueBella said...

Wonderful! Though with each step toward independence I know it tugs at your heart as a Mama :) But it's way better they grow up! Nice work, bud.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Now THAT is a big milestone. Wow, what a cutie (and beautiful shot).

jenny said...

that's awesome! way to go matt! :) gosh, they grow up waaay to fast!

just jamie said...

Yay for two wheelers. Boo for babies growing up.

CC said...

N'uh uh!! The Flash learned how to do a two wheeler on Monday as well!! Great boy minds must think alike!

Alice said...

YAY!!!!!

kimmy said...

Good job Matt! That is exciting (and little nerve wracking) when they take off those training wheels!

Kimmy

kim-d said...

Bamy JEAN Kelly, I miss you and love you. Have a good weekend. :)

Angela said...

Growing up fast.
That is awesome!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

That is so awesome! I need to put your blog in my reader so I can keep up.

I can't believe how fast your boys are growing. And so handsome!

I love the photos!

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Ok, I haven't heard from you in awhile. I'm doing a welfare check. Trying to see if you're Code 4 over there.

Are you on vacation?

Joanne :O)

Our Crooked Tree said...

He's mobile now! Yeah for Matt! The neighborhood won't know what hit it☺