Sunday, August 17, 2008

Assume she's the mother....

Today I had one of those "open mouth - insert foot" type of moments, for sure. We were at the beach. I was talking by the water's edge to a woman. We had a pleasant conversation - she seemed to be in her late 40's or maybe a bit older. While talking, a little girl (about 5 or 6 years old) was calling, "grandma grandma" (or so I thought!!!) I told the woman that her granddaughter was calling her. She gasped, "my granddaughter - that's my daughter!!!! Oh sugar, I goofed - ROYALLY. At this point garbage was spewing out of my mouth while I tried to correct my mistake. There was no erasing this blunder. Never did I mean to insult this woman, though I did hear grandma. Hindsight is always 20/20 (or so they say!) Maybe she was really calling, "mama mama." In my defense, the woman did look like she could be the grandmother - though a young grandmother. In any event, I will always assume MOTHER - always mother and never GRANDMOTHER! I guess I can't go wrong doing this.

13 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

LOL that falls into that spit happens category!
I was technically a grandmother at 27... and people got it rather messed up which was ok I loved laughing when they thought I was austins momma.
HUGS Laura

just jamie said...

Crap.

Angela said...

oops

Misty said...

Now that SUCKS!

Lisa said...

Oh the lady needs to get over herself. No harm was intended nor implied. She should have just laughed and gone on. I am a 48 year old grandma and I love it. I also have a friend who is a 44 year old momma of a newborn. Yes, she is adopted, and yes people assume she is the grandma, but everyone needs to just lighten up. If you are out of the norm then expect that mistakes are going to be made. If she was not as old as she she looked, then maybe she needs to use more sunscreen! I think it is funny, and sorry YOU were embarrassed by it. I am still laughing at you, you silly girl!

Mari said...

Oh boy! That is one of those moments that you'd like to do over! Lesson learned. At least you'll never see her again!

Michelle Leigh said...

Brian did that the other night to a guy and assumed he was the grandpa, needless to say he was embarassed. Then earlier today, some lady came to my door and asked to speak to the mother of the house. Hmmm, do I qualify?

jenny said...

sometimes people think that i'm my 9 year old sister's mom. i think it's funny. sometimes people think my mom/stepmom is tucker's mom. it happens. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my GOSH!! That is me all the way! I rarely think before talking and it gets me in to trouble often.

Robyn said...

OOPS. She'll get over it.

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Innocent mistake, but still...oops

KEEP BELIEVING

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

That's a good policy--along with never assuming a pregnancy!

tricki_nicki said...

Oh no...I think sometimes the good Lord just says, "Hmmm, I think she might need to be humbled today."

Thanks for letting us laugh at your expense, that was a good one!