Friday, June 20, 2008

Take Five

Last night I ran my first 5 mile road-race of the season.
I ran it sans my running partner.
Usually by this time of year, we have already completed a few races, together.
Generally we operate as a team.
Lately circumstances just haven't allowed
us to run together,
in prepration for a season of road-races.
In any event, I drove to the event,
all the while wanting to stay home.
I have been running, but only in three mile increments.
Usually by now, I would have already run a few 5 milers or 10 K.
With the encouragement of John, I ran solo.
I am so happy that I ran anyway.
It was a great night for a run and the scenery
along the route was beautiful.
Afterwards, I met up with a friend for a
few drinks at an outdoor bar near the race's finish.
My confidence is up and I am ready for another race.
Here begins the road-race season-
better late than never!
Now I just hope my running partner
will be ready soon!

15 comments:

kimmy said...

My sister lives on Hanscom Air Force Base and she loves to run. She has run about 10 half marathons and one full marathon. Me, I just stick to a few miles and then I get bored!

Kimmy

Anonymous said...

way to go amy! glad you enjoyed the run (and the drinks afterwards)! :)

Lisa said...

Nothing like a good run to clear the head, heart and soul. Hey, maybe that is what I need to do...
NOT. That's too much work! I admire you for your accomplishments, keep it up!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, good for you!!! I am in awe of people that can I ran, I'm awful at it...lol. Congrats on your accomplishment, that's awesome!

Mari said...

Good for you! I'm really impressed that you did it at all, much less without your partner!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Momma! I sometimes find that getting out the door is the hardest part, but I feel SO much better after I get going. Here's to a great running season!

Don Mills Diva said...

I'm impressed - way to go!

Robyn said...

You go Girl!! Way to get out there even though you didn't want to. I wish I could get to 3 miles. How many races do you do?

Are You Serious! said...

♡ That really great! Way to go you! :)

Family Adventure said...

There's nothing like the exhilaration of the first completed race of the year. Way to go, Amy! Here's to many more :)

Heidi

KG said...

Good for you! You RAWK!

CC said...

WOW!! I think I can walk a small portion of that... But run? You go girl!!!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I feel inspired to run some more. I have only been getting in about 3-1/2 miles 3 days a week or so. On vacation, I found the time. Why can I not find the time at home?

KEEP BELIEVING

kim-d said...

Amy JEAN Kelly, I am SO DARN PROUD OF YOU! That is fantastic, and I can just about imagine how good it felt for you! As for me, I would be the supportive friend who would be more than willing to meet up with you for the drinks AFTER the run...BWAHAHAHA! I did some running in my MUCH younger years, mostly just to try to get in shape for cross-county skiing, but I never really got into it. It might have had something to do with the smoking...BWAHAHAHA! And the basic lazy-ness of me...I was always a walker instead. Now? Nothing. So I'm REALLY happy for you. Maybe I'll be motivated to get my butt in gear a little??? You rock, Amy JEAN Kelly! :)

Ice Cream said...

YAY! You are so awesome. My sister started running and I have wanted to follow suit, but then I got pregnant... But just a few months and I should be back in action (I hope!)